80′s Double Feature

April 17, 2012

in Jacki Schklar/Funny not Slutty, TV

Now that’s gotta hurt.

Want to hear the weirdest double feature I saw in the 80′s (at the $1 theater where your shoes would stick to the floor)?

American Werewolf in London and A Coal Miner’s Daughter.  A Natural combo, no?

They were both good, but had no business on the same bill.  And Coal Miner’s Daughter seemed to be eight hours long, but I’d have to google it.

Anyway, an 80′s double feature I’m more excited about are these two posts I wrote for Funny not Slutty’s epic, hysterical Back to the 80′s week.  If you want to see what I looked like in the 80′s or are wondering exactly which sitcoms were the best and the worst of the era, check out my posts.

But you should really look at everything there, especially if you’re old enough to actually remember that cheesetastic (is too a word) decade.

PS: A huge thank you to Jacki Schklar and Lakia Ross for working so hard on Back to the 80′s.  If I wasn’t so lucky and able to write for it, I’d be jealous of everyone who did.  The posts have been so, so funny.

PPS: I’m expecting that Smooshiest can confirm that I did, unfortunately, look exactly like that.

Smooshiest April 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I will say I remember the rolled-up sleeves and perhaps the “flair-y” buttons; anything else I chalk up to poor memory these days… and I have no business judging anyone’s 80s look since my mother insisted I wear many Pointer Sister’s inspired outfits (for reference, see pic of us at H.S. graduation) – I can never wear a shoulder pad or anything with pointy shoulders ever again, oh, and suspenders – never in a million years will I let that happen.

K A B L O O E Y April 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I had the Mork rainbow suspenders, but have blocked out any memory of wearing them. And I really don’t want to see a picture of me from HS graduation, but I’ll take your odd for it on the Pointer Sisters homage.

Smooshiest April 19, 2012 at 9:29 am

For awhile, any pants that were purchased for me had suspenders; there was one outfit I wore to many a sweet sixteen. Nothing, though, could top the grey dress I wore to my sister’s SS; every accessory was apple red, including the shoes – my FB page has reference to that, but I don’t think you can see the shoes – oh, and I forgot the white Capezios that I continued to wear during Freshman year in college. It took me a while to get away from my tomboyish looks for awhile. Once I started meeting cute guys, my outlook changed, I grew out my hair and abandoned the pixie cut forever.

quirkyloon April 19, 2012 at 3:05 am

I LOVED American Werewolf.

And I thought Coal Miner’s Daughter was purdy good. But you are correct, madam, this is THE STRANGEST movie pairing EVER.

I’m impressed you lasted both movies! heh heh

Amber April 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I need to check out the sitcoms post. I recall watching some very interesting sitcoms in the 80s. And weird ones. (Wasn’t there one where the daughter was a robot or something?)

b April 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm

OMG…Just brought me right back to the cinemart– I think I was your “date” for this memorable (?) double feature! Pretty sure K & G & S were there (were they our “dates”?) aaah the good ol days!
miss you!
xo
b

b April 24, 2012 at 10:31 pm

PS – I can also confirm “the look” – i remember your haircut, going to the limited for the forenza sweaters and the button-covered blazer well!

K A B L O O E Y April 25, 2012 at 12:30 am

See guys? No Jayson Blair made up crap here. These are facts I’m reporting. Thanks Eventchick and Smooshiest for corroborating my story.

Anna Lefler April 28, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Oh, man, I loved that Pepper guy.

It was probably the vest.

Wait, what?

XO

A.

Vegas Linda Lou April 29, 2012 at 3:31 am

Oh, how I hated the 80s! Horrible music (thanks to MTV, what bands looked like was more important than what they sounded like), horrible styles, and horrible hair. (I could never, and will never have big hair–I don’t have enough of it.) Gee, I’m such a wet blanket.