Barney’s Version

February 25, 2011

in Movies

Paul Giamatti plays Barney Panofsky in Barney’s Version, one of two and a half movies I saw tonight. Thanks to Moochie’s very first non-grandma sleepover and Phin’s rehearsal, I had a night to play Academy Awards catch up. And I did — happily.

Barney’s version is 134 minutes long and covers thirty-plus years. The number of false notes hit by Giamatti by my rough count?

Zero.

You never see him acting, and his performance is the best I’ve seen in ages. If the movie’s not playing anywhere near you, catch up on Netflicks and thank me later. It’ll depress you, but you can’t have everything. I confess — I cried.

But then, I seem to be a soft touch these days; The Kids Are All Right got me too.

Black Swan? A couple of winces at fingernaily things, a few unintended laughs at sad, scary Barbara Hershey’s character, but no tears.

Tonight’s “half” movie was The Fighter, which I walked into because it was empty and I was was early for Black Swan. It’s not fair to judge based on half a film, but, what are you, the Movie Police?

I’m going to say the 11/19ths that I saw was a solid, workman-like good. No Raging Bull, but it did have one amazingly scary phalanx of sisters.

They should be up for something — best argument in favor of family planning… something. Scary Hair and makeup? Throw them something so they don’t haunt my dreams?

Thanks. This has been K a b l o o e y, at the Movies. Cue the theme song?

Smooshiest February 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I think Mooch is qualified to make up a theme song for you, and while she's at it, come up with a gimmick, like the Siskel/Ebert 2 Thumbs Up thing.

I haven't seen any of these 2.5 films yet, but I plan to catch up this weekend somehow. I've only seen "The King's Speech" with our mums and I maintain that it should be the winner and champion (which for some reason reminds me of the pugilist episode of Bugs Bunny I've watched over and over).

Thanks for the reviews…

Connie February 26, 2011 at 1:56 am

I'm going to see Black Swan tomorrow.

I really want to see Barney and King's Speech but I've run out of time. It would be a dream come true to spend an entire day going to movies!

That sister on the far left…that looks just like me 16 years ago..right now to the socks!!

K A B L O O E Y February 26, 2011 at 3:24 am

Some theaters are playing all 10 films nominated for best picture tomorrow (Saturday) before Oscars. I don't think you're remembering accurately re: sis on the left. Because… the shorts?

The Empress February 26, 2011 at 5:30 am

I saw True Grit with my buddy, my 16 yr old. WE BOTH LOVED IT.

And we saw The King's Speech, also VERY VERY good.

I've heard not so great things about the swan, so I'll pass.

Heard nothing but GREAT about Kids are Alright.

I'll do that one first…I'm all about the chick flix.

xo Thanks, honey.

And I trust you on Barney, so I"ll go for it. I also like how you say Paul "doesn't act at all."

Perfect choice of words.

Anonymous February 28, 2011 at 10:17 am

BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN
Why American men should boycott American women

I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don’t know how to cook or clean, don’t want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women?

American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least.

This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women.

BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN!

Kathleen Botsford February 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm

So glad to read your review of Barney. Can't wait to see it. Sad is part of life, right? Also very happy to see Colin Firth win and the Kings Speech. Fabulous movie.

WhisperingWriter February 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I really want to see The King's Speech. I think I'd like that movie.

I saw The Kids Are All Right and didn't really care for it.

tulpen March 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Never heard of the Barney movie, but you had me at Paul Giamatti.

I can't wait to get caught up on the Oscars. Been working every evening since… I just like looking at the pretty people, and their nice boobies.

K A B L O O E Y March 2, 2011 at 11:04 pm

2 birds, 1 stone. Tulpen: boycott American Women (see above) by grooving on Paul Giamatti's boobies.

Quirkyloon March 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm

You mean there's a Barney for grownup who's not purple and sings annoying ditties?

Wow!

I need to get out more often.

I want to see Black Swan and now this Barney movie!

*smile*